Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Why does an extra FrameLayout get generated for fragments?

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Want to verify your W2 submission form?

A few weeks ago, I got a letter from the SSA notifying me that my electronic employer W2 submission was wrong. I knew it was related to the electronic file format generated by Wave, but wasn't sure what was happening. After waiting 2 weeks for a response from their support team, I decided to write a small script to figure out what was happening...

It confirmed to me that their generation was off by a factor of 10.  It was fixed later by the company without notifying customers about the issue.

Also, it turns out that the SSA provides a Java applet called AccuWage that allows third-party companies to verify that their file format generation is correct...

Saturday, February 7, 2015

How to get IntelliJ to recompile Android resource files

If you want to use IntelliJ to build your Android projects, make sure that the SDK versions in your Project SDK matches that in your Preferences->Module SDK. Otherwise, you may find that you have to click Rebuild Project each time you make changes to the XML version!

Monday, December 29, 2014

User location API's in Android

With the new framework with Google Play, you have to update your code now to use this unified GoogleApiClient.Builder() approach:

There are now actually two ways to get location from Android. The 2nd way attempts to unify the various LocationProviders (GPS, network, other applications, etc.) into one API:

Friday, December 12, 2014

How to map multiple keyboards to the same OSX mappings

If you're trying to use Karabiner to support key remappings for multiple devices, you can take advantage of the templating syntax:

You can have your product and vendor ID definitions here:

You define your main key remappings here: