Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Want to verify your W2 submission form?

A few weeks ago, I got a letter from the SSA notifying me that my electronic employer W2 submission was wrong. I knew it was related to the electronic file format generated by Wave, but wasn't sure what was happening. After waiting 2 weeks for a response from their support team, I decided to write a small script to figure out what was happening...

https://gist.github.com/rogerhu/bef3c9cba4005f346002

It confirmed to me that their generation was off by a factor of 10.  It was fixed later by the company without notifying customers about the issue.

Also, it turns out that the SSA provides a Java applet called AccuWage that allows third-party companies to verify that their file format generation is correct...

No comments:

Post a Comment