Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Changing the behavior of Emacs' list-buffers mode

I encountered the same issue with Emacs.  The issue is that when you hit Ctrl-X, Ctrl-B to see all of your buffers with the window split in 2, the buffer list shows up on the other side.  It's hugely annoying since you lose the previous buffer screen.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1231188/emacs-list-buffers-behavior

In GNU emacs, every time I hit Ctrl-x Ctrl-b to see all of my buffers, the window is split to show the buffer list, or if I have my window already split in 2 (for instance, I will have a shell running in the lower window), the buffer list appears in the other window.

My desired behavior is for the buffer list to appear in my active window so that I can select the buffer I want and continue to working in the same window, rather than having to Ctrl-x Ctrl-o to the other buffer, selecting the buffer (with enter) and editing that buffer in the other window... I've googled for it but it doesn't seem to be a common desire? I wonder if anyone has an elispy (or other) solution?

Simplest solution?

Edit your .emacs:

(global-set-key "\C-x\C-b" 'buffer-menu)

No comments:

Post a Comment